If you already have a copy of Surname Atlas you can purchase the latest version direct from Archer Software for only £5.00, by just returning the front CD insert as proof of purchase - please use the Order Form.
Here's a selective version history, in reverse order:
|1.20||Mar 15 ||
- Added more detailed mapping of surnames & forenames in Scotland, down to district level (previously to county level only).
- Coastlines re-worked in greater detail.
- Several corrections to alignment of county/district boundaries; improvements to syntax & placement of some area labels.
- Further 'default' views added (Scotland, Wales).
- Reference table of Scottish districts included.
- Added tables of the most frequent surnames in each county.
- Surnames & forename datasets rebuilt so as to exclude ships in port (which slightly distorted mapping of names in coastal districts).
|1.11||Jan 13 ||
- Wildcard searches: previously not supporting wildcards at start and end of string, e.g. *brother*. Fixed. Prevented wildcard searches with less than 3 characters in search string; made warning about slowness of wildcard searches pop up earlier.
- Advanced searches: deleting successive items from the list box down to zero items with 'Clear Selected' leaves the Update button ungreyed, clicking it caused crash message. Fixed.
|1.10||Feb 11 ||
- Overall program screen dimensions increased to 1000x700 such that needs 1024x768 minimum screen dimensions. Main map image now 500x500 (56% larger).
- More modern look & feel (XP style).
- Title tab renamed 'Home'. New design with larger graphic.
- Print tab renamed 'Output'.
- General change of program interface colour-scheme, green -> blue. Opening map now buff.
- New round "Display Map" buttons.
- Improved (coloured) range selector on Configuration tab.
- Selection panel for sea colour (Configuration tab) moved to Sea & coastline' section.
- Bugfix where a surname only present in Scotland. (previously it didn't empty a PLU listing, if present)
- Automated selection of surname variants (Advanced Surname Search) now based on Nominex system.
- Clipboard export allows key to be exported (with map or separately).
- New 'Reference' tab with tables of County/PLU figures.
- Results tables now include County/PLU populations and Banwell Numbers.
- Results tab allows display of numbers as coloured-coded histogram bars.
- 'County Surnames' selection tab added.
- Surname/Forename ranking columns added to main scrolling name tables.
- Correction to Cumberland county boundary.
- Corrected alignment of various County/PLU boundaries - London, S.Wales, Devon/Somerset etc.
- Improvements to syntax & placement of some area labels.
- Alderney not filled when PLU selected - fixed.
- Suppression of some labels until zoomed in - especially the London area.
- Maximum zoom percentage now 5,000% (mainly affects London).
- Web address on Home tab made clickable.
- Added a check for a previously running instance of the program.
- Help file content reviewed and updated; more illustrations added.
|1.06||Sep 09 ||
- Replaced back-end database, mainly to avoid start-up error Network initialisation failed (can happen with Windows Vista & Windows 7).
|1.00||Apr 03 ||Initial release.|